As we all know, first impressions are important. And when it comes to websites, that first impression is made through design.
A well-designed website makes a good impression on potential customers and encourages them to stay and browse, while a poorly designed website does the opposite.
That’s why you need to think about redesigning your site.
And if you’re thinking about redesigning your website, it’s important to also think about how that redesign will impact your SEO.
After all, a website redesign is a perfect opportunity to improve your website’s search engine optimization (SEO).
But before we get into how to improve your website’s SEO during a redesign, let’s first talk about what SEO is and why it’s important.
What is SEO?
SEO is the process of optimizing a website for Google search with the goal of earning higher web traffic levels and improving the visibility of the site.
- optimizing a website for Google search = the process of making a website more likely to rank high in Google search results
- visibility = how easy it is for people to find a website in Google search results
Why is SEO important?
There are two main reasons why SEO is important:
1. SEO can help you earn more web traffic.
If your website is optimized for Google search, it’s more likely to rank high in search results. And the higher your website ranks in search results, the more web traffic you’re likely to earn.
2. SEO can help you improve your visibility.
SEO can also help you improve the visibility of your website.
If your website is easy to find in Google search results, people are more likely to visit it.
And the more people who visit your website, the more likely you are to earn customers or clients.
Now that we’ve answered the question “what is SEO?” and talked about why it’s important, let’s get into how to improve your website’s SEO during a redesign.
What Is The Benefit Of Website Redesign To SEO?
A website redesign can offer many benefits for businesses, including improved search engine visibility, increased traffic, and conversions.
In addition, a well-designed website can provide a better user experience, which can lead to repeat visitors and customers.
There are several reasons why you might consider redesigning your website. Maybe your website is outdated and doesn’t reflect your current branding.
Or, you may be launching a new product or service and need a website that better reflects your offering. Whatever the reason, a website redesign can offer many benefits.
Let’s look at some of these benefits.
1. Cohesive Brand Identity
The biggest benefit of a website redesign is that it gives you the opportunity to create a cohesive brand identity.
When your website looks and feels like an extension of your offline branding, it helps build trust with potential customers and reinforces your company’s credibility.
2. Improved User Experience
A well-designed website should be easy to use and navigate. If your website is difficult to use or confusing, potential customers will likely leave without taking the time to learn how to use it.
With a website redesign, you have a another chance to streamline your website’s navigation and design, making it simpler and more user-friendly.
3. Higher Search Engine Ranking
A website redesign also provides an opportunity to improve your website’s search engine optimization (SEO).
By optimizing your website for specific keywords, you can improve your website’s ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs), making it more likely that potential customers will find your website.
4. Increased Conversion Rate
If your website’s design is effective, it can help increase your website’s conversion rate, or the percentage of visitors who take the desired action, such as making a purchase or signing up for a newsletter.
A higher conversion rate means more leads and customers for your business.
5. Improved ROI
A website redesign can also improve your return on investment (ROI).
While a website redesign can be a significant upfront investment, it can provide a significant return in the form of increased leads, customers, and revenue.
More On SEO…
How to Improve Your Website’s SEO During a Redesign
1. Do Keyword Research.
The first step to improving your website’s SEO is to do keyword research.
Keyword research is the process of finding the right keywords to target for your website.
To do keyword research, you can use a tool like Google Keyword Planner.
Just enter a few seed keywords related to your business or website, and Google Keyword Planner will show you a list of related keywords.
2. Create keyword-focused content.
Once you know which keywords to target, the next step is to create keyword-focused content. Keyword-focused content is content that’s optimized for the keywords you’re targeting.
To optimize your content for your target keywords, you want to include your target keywords in the following places:
- Title tags
- Meta descriptions
- Headings (H1, H2, H3 tags)
- Body text
- Anchor text
- Image alt text
3. Optimize your website for mobile.
Mobile optimization is another important part of SEO. Mobile optimization is the process of making sure your website looks and works well on mobile devices.
These days, more and more people are using their phones and tablets to browse the internet. In fact, according to Google, 61% of searchers are more likely to contact a business with a mobile-friendly website.
So if you want to improve your website’s SEO, you need to make sure your website is optimized for mobile.
Fortunately, there are a few easy ways to do this:
- Use a responsive design: A responsive design is a design that automatically adjusts to look good on any screen size.
- Use large font sizes: Make sure your font sizes are large enough to be easily readable on mobile devices.
- Use large buttons: Make sure your buttons are large enough to be easily clickable on mobile devices.
4. Improve your website’s speed.
Website speed is another important part of SEO. Website speed is the amount of time it takes for your website to load.
According to Google, 53% of mobile users abandon websites that take longer than 3 seconds to load. So if you want to improve your website’s SEO, you need to make sure your website loads quickly.
Fortunately, there are a few easy ways to improve your website’s speed:
- Optimize your images: Make sure your images are the right size and format. You can use a tool like ImageOptim to help.
- Minimize your code: Make sure your code is clean and well-organized. You can use a tool like Gzip to help.
- Use a content delivery network (CDN): A CDN is a network of servers that deliver content to visitors. Using a CDN can help your website load faster for visitors who are far from your server.
5. Improve your website’s structure.
Website structure is another important part of SEO. Website structure is the way your website is organized and the way your pages are linked together.
A well-structured website is easy for both users and search engines to understand and navigate. So if you want to improve your website’s SEO, you need to make sure your website has a good structure.
Here are a few tips for improving your website’s structure:
- Use a clear hierarchy: Organize your website into a hierarchy with a main navigation and sub-navigations.
- Use descriptive URLs: Use descriptive URLs that include your target keywords.
- Use internal linking: Use internal linking to help search engines and users find the most important pages on your website.
6. Improve your website’s security.
Website security is another important part of SEO. Website security is the process of making sure your website is safe from hackers and malicious software.
A secure website is a website that uses HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure). HTTPS is a security protocol that encrypts data transmitted between a website and a user.
Encrypting data is important because it makes it difficult for hackers to intercept and read the data. So if you want to improve your website’s SEO, you need to make sure your website is HTTPS secure.
Fortunately also, there are a few easy ways to do this:
- Install an SSL certificate: An SSL certificate is a file that encrypts data transmitted between a website and a user.
- Enable HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS): HSTS is a security protocol that tells browsers to only connect to a website using HTTPS.
- Redirect HTTP to HTTPS: Redirecting HTTP to HTTPS ensures that all users are connected to your website using HTTPS.
7. Monitor your website’s performance.
The final step to improving your website’s SEO is to monitor your website’s performance. Monitoring your website’s performance means tracking your website’s SEO metrics over time.
There are a few important SEO metrics you should track:
- Organic traffic: Organic traffic is the number of visitors who come to your website from Google search.
- Keyword rankings: Keyword rankings are the position of your website’s pages in Google search results.
- Backlinks: Backlinks are links from other websites to your website.
You can track these metrics using a tool like Google Analytics.
Google Analytics is a free tool that allows you to track your website’s traffic and performance.
In A Nutshell…
Improving your website’s SEO during a redesign is a great way to earn more web traffic and improve your visibility. And there are a few easy ways to do it:
- Do keyword research.
- Create keyword-focused content.
- Optimize your website for mobile.
- Improve your website’s speed.
- Improve your website’s structure.
- Improve your website’s security.
- Monitor your website’s performance.
There are many benefits of redesigning a website, but how does it affect SEO? In short, it can have a positive impact if done correctly, but it can also have a negative impact if not done with SEO in mind.
A well-designed website will be easy for users to navigate and find the information they are looking for. This is good for SEO because it will reduce the number of people leaving the site due to frustration.
A well-designed website will also:
- … be easy for search engines to crawl and index. This is good for SEO because it will help the site rank higher in the search results.
- … be visually appealing and will make a good first impression on visitors. This is good for SEO because it will help the site stand out from the competition.
- … be mobile-friendly. This is good for SEO because more and more people are using mobile devices to access the internet.
- … load quickly. This is good for SEO because people are less likely to abandon a site that loads quickly.
- … be accessible to people with disabilities. This is good for SEO because it will help the site rank higher in the search results.
Redesigning a website can be a lot of work, but it is worth it if it is done with SEO in mind.
If you are thinking about redesigning your website, be sure to keep these SEO tips in mind to ensure that the process is smooth and that the end result is a website that is easy to use, fast, and mobile-friendly.